Friday, August 8, 2008

Today (Thursday) was a nice day. Our route took us along the Erie Canal for several miles in the Rochester, NY area. It was really interesting to see two bodies of water intersect. I understand a Y where two rivers come together, but the canal intersected the river, just like the intersection of two roads. I saw that on the map and I was really interested to see how it was going to work. The only thing I could think was a bridge for the canal to go over the river, but I suppose that would have been a bit impractical. I'm not entirely out of my mind though… I have seen that done, where an irrigation ditch is bridged over another one.

Anyways, up until lunch time I rode with Jonny and Fiona again. They're still doing quite well. Just chugging along like the rest of us. Though, unlike the rest of us, they're not yet sure of how they are going to get from Maine to their next destination (Florida) next weekend… I think they should bike… It was a lot of fun to bike with them again. I've been riding mostly with Dan and Stuart since my Achilles heels have been feeling better (that seems like so long ago!).

This evening, it worked out for me to be able to see my uncle and aunt, who live in Rochester. They drove out to my host family, picked me up and took me out to dinner. It was great to spend some time with them. I've seen them a couple times in the past 4 years since I've been at school, but only briefly, for an afternoon or something. Before that, the last time I spent any large amount of time with my uncle was 10 years ago, before my family moved to Germany.

I also got to spend some time with the host family. We talked and played Catch Phrase for a while before it hit 10:00 and I called it a night to write my post and get some sleep. Tomorrow, we're headed to Redfield, NY, and by Monday we will be in Vermont.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: