Sunday, August 3, 2008

Danger

I had a conversation with a lady this evening about danger. I was telling her about the ministries we are supporting and she asked if areas like Serbia and Cairo are dangerous. It really got me thinking about how Christians should respond to danger.

At the time, I immediately thought of Jim Elliot and his quote, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." What a profound statement! Jim Elliot gave his life, that which he could not keep, in order to gain eternity, that which cannot be lost. And in so doing, allowed God to work through those events to bring entire tribe in S. America to Christ. Gaining eternity for those people. (If you haven't seen the documentary, Beyond the Gates of Splendor, i strongly recommend it)

Was it dangerous for Jim and his friends to go to this tribe and attempt to build relationships with them and share the gospel? yes. it was incredibly dangerous. But, was it worth it? YES!

I have no desire to recklessly throw my life away. There are a lot of things that I would still like to do before I'm ushered into the presence of Christ for eternity. But those people who are living in dangerous situations still deserve the opportunity to hear the Gospel and trust Christ as Lord. I think of the Iraqis, the Chinese, the N. Koreans, those in Darfur... The list goes on and on.

Though, I've also been thinking that as much as those people need to be reached, the body of Christ cannot be made up of hands and feet. There must be arms and legs that enable the hands and feet, the eyes that have the vision for the work, etc.

My challenge to you today and for the next weeks, months and years is to prayerfully consider where your place is in the body.

Romans 10:14-15 -- How are they to call on the one they have not believed in? And how are they to believe in the one they have not heard of? And how are they to hear without someone preaching to them? And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How timely is the arrival of those who proclaim the good news."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have some of the most amazing photographs. I'm enjoying them so much. We prayed for you and the team today in church (Cornell UMC), you're still a hot topic with this small community!

Blessings and saftey

Juri said...

Biker Dude...totally right on! We're praying for you all...pedal on!

My kids were inspired by the efforts of your team. Each individually brought up praying for your bike team at some point throughout the day.

Press on to bless on!